Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children, is a renowned linguistics professor who starts to forget words. When she receives a devastating diagnosis, Alice and her family find their bonds tested.
- Dr. Alice Howland: Julianne Moore
- Dr. John Howland: Alec Baldwin
- Lydia Howland: Kristen Stewart
- Anna: Kate Bosworth
- Charlie: Shane McRae
- Tom Howland: Hunter Parrish
- Frederic Johnson: Seth Gilliam
- Dr. Benjamin: Stephen Kunken
- Jenny: Erin Darke
- Eric Wellman: Daniel Gerroll
- Nursing Home Administrator: Quincy Tyler Bernstine
- Nursing Home Resident: Maxine Prescott
- Primary Care Doctor: Orlagh Cassidy
- Convention Facilitator: Rosa Arredondo
- Masha (Three Sisters): Zillah Glory
- Pinkberry Worker: Cat Lynch
- Alice Howland’s Mother: Eha Urbsalu
- Prof. Hooper: Victoria Cartagena
- Casting: Kerry Barden
- Casting: Paul Schnee
- Director of Photography: Denis Lenoir
- Original Music Composer: Ilan Eshkeri
- Producer: Pamela Koffler
- Editor: Nicolas Chaudeurge
- Director: Richard Glatzer
- Director: Wash Westmoreland
- Production Design: Tommaso Ortino
- Music Producer: Matthias Gohl
- Casting: Allison Estrin
- Producer: James Brown
- Producer: Lex Lutzus
- Novel: Lisa Genova
- Costume Design: Stacey Battat
- Musician: Andrew Brown
- Sound Mixer: Anton Gold
- Music Producer: Stephen McLaughlin
- Key Hair Stylist: Jacqueline Weiss
- mattwilde123: ‘Still Alice’ is a film that boasts a remarkable central performance from Julianne Moore. It tells the story of a University linguistics professor (Moore) as she is diagnosed a rare form of Auzheimer’s disease.
Richard Glatzer’s direction of the movie can be viewed as a parallel to his own life and personal struggle as he lived with ALS disease. ‘Still Alice’ is full of emotive shots as the characters show care and support to Moore as she tries to continue juggling her career and family life with the disease. Aspects such as the music and cinematography is given a very straight-forward approach to allow the actors’ performances to tell the story and to add a true to life direction.
Based on the novel of the same name written by Lisa Genova, the screenplay is very faithfully adapted. The film really focuses on the story and the dialogue between the characters and some scenes and interactions are extremely moving thanks to how well it is written.
Julianne Moore is perfect as the main character. She portrays her struggle with the disease with so much inner strength and dignity. Moore is supported by a solid cast such as Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart but are outshone by her brilliant performance.
Overall, ‘Still Alice’ is a very good film. It is very touching and moving tale about coping with such a life changing and destructive disease. However, it seems to only be memorable due to Julianne Moore’s incredible acting.