The Grinch hatches a scheme to ruin Christmas when the residents of Whoville plan their annual holiday celebration.
- Grinch (voice): Benedict Cumberbatch
- Donna Lou Who (voice): Rashida Jones
- Bricklebaum (voice): Kenan Thompson
- Cindy Lou Who (voice): Cameron Seely
- Mayor McGerkle (voice): Angela Lansbury
- Narrator (voice): Pharrell Williams
- Axl (voice): Ramone Hamilton
- Ozzy (voice): Sam Lavagnino
- Izzy (voice): Scarlett Estevez
- Store Clerk (voice): Michael Beattie
- Additional Voices (voice): Scott Mosier
- Additional Voices (voice): Lori Alan
- Additional Voices (voice): Carter Hastings
- Additional Voices (voice): Carlos Alazraqui
- Additional Voices (voice): John Kassir
- Additional Voices (voice): Cathy Cavadini
- Additional Voices (voice): Danny Mann
- Additional Voices (Voice): Meilee Condron
- Max / Fred (voice): Frank Welker
- Groopert (voice): Tristan O’Hare
- Additional Voices (voice): Doug Burch
- Additional Voices (voice): Tucker Chandler
- Additional Voices (voice): Townsend Coleman
- Additional Voices (voice): Abby Craden
- Additional Voices (voice): Brian T. Delaney
- Additional Voices (voice): John DeMita
- Additional Voices (voice): Bill Farmer
- Additional Voices (voice): Aaron Fors
- Additional Voices (voice): Willow Geer
- Additional Voices (voice): Jess Harnell
- Additional Voices (voice): Evan Kishiyama
- Additional Voices (voice): Barbara Harris
- Additional Voices (voice): Jeremy Maxwell
- Additional Voices (voice): Laraine Newman
- Additional Voices (voice): Dashiell Priestley
- Additional Voices (voice): Alex Puccinelli
- Additional Voices (voice): Emma Elizabeth Shannon
- Additional Voices (voice): Joel Swetow
- Additional Voices (voice): Mindy Sterling
- Additional Voices (voice): Tara Strong
- Additional Voices (voice): Regina Taufen
- Additional Voices (voice): Jim Ward
- Music: Danny Elfman
- Producer: Christopher Meledandri
- Associate Producer: Robert Taylor
- Supervising Sound Editor: Dennis Leonard
- Screenplay: Tommy Swerdlow
- Screenplay: Michael LeSieur
- Producer: Scott Mosier
- Director: Yarrow Cheney
- Producer: Janet Healy
- Story: Dr. Seuss
- Executive Producer: Chris Renaud
- Associate Producer: Brett Hoffman
- Executive Producer: Audrey Geisel
- Art Direction: Colin Stimpson
- Foley Artist: John Roesch
- Sound Designer: David Acord
- Production Manager: Dave Rosenbaum
- Dialogue Editor: Jonathan Greber
- Sound Effects Editor: Pascal Garneau
- Post Production Supervisor: Eileen Godoy
- Post Production Supervisor: Jeannine Berger
- Foley Supervisor: Christopher Flick
- Foley Mixer: Blake Collins
- Storyboard Artist: Miguel Jiron
- Storyboard Artist: Cinzia Angelini
- Foley Editor: Jim Likowski
- Editor: Chris Cartagena
- Foley Artist: Geoff Vaughan
- VFX Supervisor: Charles Seignolle
- Assistant Production Manager: Gaëlle Santamarta
- Production Supervisor: Delphine Le Roch
- Sound Effects Editor: Bonnie Wild
- Animation: Benjamin Faure
- bigchris18: After hearing negative reviews from others I was reluctant to see this one at first but I went with my gut feeling and saw it and wow I am so happy I did this movie made my Christmas already it’s just what we need in the world today a movie about people putting aside their differences and enjoying just being together
- Chris: So I paid £7 to fall asleep! Alas, even my kids aged 11 and 14 found it uninteresting. Grandma came along, she loves all animation films, but even this failed to capture her interest. We were expecting some new twists in an already well-known tale, but hey-ho, not this time.
- KristinaZI: The Grinch was a movie I really wanted to see before Christmas but life was so busy and I just didn’t have enough time. I am so glad I finally managed to see it.
– the animation is absolutely stunning! all of the colours and the contrast with the snow was amazing.
– Max was the most adorable puppy ever! for some reason, it reminded me of Dobby a bit 😀
– a big part of the story was told in verse and there were many quotes taken directly from the book.
– I kind of wanted more songs
– Grinch wasn’t portrayed as mean as I expected
It was cute, adorable and very Christmasy! Yes, it was cheesy but it is supposed to be like that. I think I prefer it as an animation.
- Peter89Spencer: It was a little too eccentric. I would’ve thought they would make the storyline similar to the 2000 remake, this time with Jim Carrey voicing the bullying mayor!
Still, this film had its laughs, along with a voice cameo from Made in Chelsea’s Toff!
- r96sk: A much more family friendly story about ‘The Grinch’.
I like it. It has a few issues but still does most things right, it’s definitely solely made for families but that’s not a negative – it does make sense to make an animated version of this Dr. Seuss book.
With that noted, I don’t rate Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role. I don’t think his voice suits the role at all, it needed someone who sounds more menacing and treacherous. I never felt, away from his obvious acts, any horrid side to Grinch here – though perhaps that suits the aforementioned family vibe they were aiming for.
Away from Cumberbatch, I thoroughly enjoyed Pharrell Williams’ narration and it’s cool to hear Angela Lansbury in a minor role. The plot to this 2018 film is solid, but the thing about it that stands out most to me is the humour – which I found consistently amusing, there are some funny gags in there.
Overall, this is a film I’ll look back on as being good – even if it could’ve been greater, especially with a more suitable lead. If we’re comparing this and the 2000 production, I think I prefer this one? It’s close, Jim Carrey is great in that but this one’s pacing is much better.